Long weekends are brilliant because a bank holiday Monday seems like a bonus day. An extra day added to the week just so that you can stay in bed or read every page of the Sunday newspapers. Long weekends to me mean leisurely breakfasts and starting the day off with something gorgeous.
I made these last weekend and hope to do the same again tomorrow! You could easily make these the night before and keep them in the fridge to bake the following morning.
Pain Au Chocolat
1 sheet puff pastry (buy it!)
2oz ground almonds
1 oz sugar
3 oz nice dark chocolate
2 tbsp orange juice
4oz chocolate spread
Egg whisked for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Lay the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Blitz the almonds, dark chocolate chunks, sugar and orange juice in a food processor.
- The chocolate should remain in coarse chips.
- Spread a bit of chocolate spread on the top half of each piece of pastry.
Spread some of the almond mix on top of the chocolate spread.
Roll up and lay them seam down on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
- Brush with the whisked egg and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
Dust with icing sugar. Eat at least one whilst it’s hot! My God. yum.
So that’s it. So easy and so gorgeous. Have a lovely long weekend!
10 Responses to Chocolate for breakfast