Are you looking to increase your daily intake of golden buttery pastry? I was too! And I found the answer in these darling apple hand pies! I first came across the brilliant idea of hand pies over on Amy Karol’s Blog. Genius. An apple tart with a heart, just increase the proportion of pastry, decrease the fruit and you’re on to a winner. You probably think they’re just normal but I have to tell you that the day I made these I ate three. I know. My photo shoot was interrupted by a visitor that informed me I had sugar and crumbs on my face, I was mortified, hence the consumption of a third pie.
I am a bit scared of making pastry, or I was, until I came across the fabulous Leila Lindholm and her gorgeous shortcrust pastry recipe. It really does work each time. She suggests adding 1/2 tablespoon of water but I never do because the eggs I use are quite large, but do add it if you find it’s not coming together for you.
Apple Hand Pies
Apple Hand Pies
For the Pastry:
150g (5oz) cold butter, diced
240g (8 1/2 oz) plain flour
30g (1 1/4 oz) icing sugar
Maybe 1/2 tablespoon cold water if you need it
1 bramley apple
1 normal eating apple, any kind will do
2 tbsps brown sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp mixed spice
- Put the butter, flour and suagr into a bowl and mix with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. You can also do this in a food processor, works so brilliantly.
- Add the egg and gently work to bind the ingredient together. Don’t knead.
- Flatten into a disc and cover with cling film. Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile mix the brown sugar, mixed spice and cornflour together.
- Slice the apples thinly, a mandoline is perfect for this.
- Roll the pastry out and using a saucer as a template cut out your circle.
- Layer the apples on one half of the disc, place a teaspoon of the sugar mix over this.
- Fold over and pinch the sides together like in my photo. Cut three slits on one side.
- Bake all the pies until golden, 180 c for 20-25 mins.
You can serve this with whipped cream, custard, ice cream or the lovely buttermilk pastry cream that I used in the Strawberry Tart. Gorgeous!
9 Responses to Apple Hand Pies : My 50th Post!