I was a major fan of Band of Brothers, the World War II miniseries. I loved it. Then I was delighted to hear about The Pacific. A new show about the US Marine Corps fighting the Japanese. But it’s just not the same. Maybe I haven’t given it enough time. The writing is poor, the characters aren’t as likeable as in Band of Brothers. I want more Band of Brothers basically. More of the same please HBO. No changes.
I’m still going to watch it though.
Anyway I was eating this gorgeous soup as I watched the marines trek their way through the jungle. This is one of my all time favourite soups. So quick and easy. And you can throw it together from stuff you have in the house normally. All you need is a bag of frozen peas! I’ve made this with mint before too and it was lovely.
Pea & Coriander Soup
A Ballymaloe Recipe
1 1/2 pints stock, heated
5oz onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green chilli, de-seeded & chopped
450g frozen peas
2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
salt, pepper, sugar
- Melt the butter on a gentle heat, add the onion, garlic & chilli.
- Season with salt & pepper, sweat for 4 mins
- Add the peas, cover with hot stock
- Bring to the boil, simmer for 5-8 mins
- Add the coriander and liquidise.
- Check the seasoning and add a pinch of sugar to enhance the flavour.
This soup can be served cold too. A few years ago I had this at a wedding in little espresso cups and everyone just loved it. A really gorgeous summery soup.